At the Northamptonshire School of Dance our ballet classes follow the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) syllabus from Beginners Ballet, to Pre-Primary and Primary, to Grades 1 to 8 and the Vocationals.
Exams and Class Awards are offered three times per year and although these are optional at our school, they are wholeheartedly encouraged, as children thrive on the sense of achievement that taking part and success can bring.
Pupils also have the unique and enriching opportunity to dance in our exciting shows which are held at The Derngate in Northampton. View our gallery, which includes photos from of our latest production of The Nutcracker.
Learn more about the school’s principal, Natalie Carter, who was formerly a professional ballet dancer, and our other teachers on the team by reading our biographies page.
Where could dance take you? Be inspired by this video from Royal Academy of Dance
We are accredited by the Royal Academy of Dance.
The benefits of ballet include:
- strength, stamina, control and endurance
- flexibility and range of motion
- musicality and appreciation of different music genres
- coordination and balance
- good listening, co-operation and self-discipline
enhanced imagination and creativity
- social skills and improved confidence
- UCAS points for university applications earned through RAD exams
- having fun with friends!
We organise visits from dance companies and former professionals in order to broaden our pupils’ dance experiences. Past workshops have included:
- Vienna Festival Ballet Company
- Richard Alston Dance Company
- Former dancer with Hong Kong Ballet & vocational teacher from Bird College, London
- Former dancer with the Birmingham Royal Ballet
Pupil’s successes include:
- Junior Associates of the Royal Ballet School, Associates and Classical Ballet Academy at Tring Park School for the Performing Arts, Elmhurst Associates and Graham Fletcher Associates
- Full time vocational training at Tring Park School for the Performing Arts and Central School of Ballet
- National Youth Ballet of Great Britain
- English Youth Ballet
- Midland Theatre Ballet
- Milton Keynes Dance Theatre
RAD Ballet is taught by Miss Natalie, Miss Hayley and Miss Beth
Fees are payable in advance of each term – please contact email@example.com for more information.
Please choose one of the options below to view the timetable.
We recommend that dance shoes are ordered through Northamptonshire School of Dance to ensure quality and teachers will check fittings. Pointe shoes should be professionally fitted, please contact us for recommendations.
- Leotard – colour and style according to the Grade
- Ballet tights or socks
- Ballet shoes
- Character shoes and skirt from Grade 1
- Crossover ballet cardigan and optional legwarmers for the winter months
- Hair in bun or pinned plaits
- White short sleeved leotard or slim fit t-shirt
- White ballet socks, white ballet shoes and black character shoes from Grade 1
- Navy dance shorts or stirrups
- NSD dance trousers and white long sleeved thermal vest for the winter months
The correct uniform must be worn for all lessons, as we find this helps students get into the right mindset for the class.
All uniform items, including hair accessories (nets, pins, grips), tights/socks, leotards and warm ups (crossovers, leg warmers) can be ordered by emailing your requests to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NSD Uniform Extras
- Short sleeved t-shirt – Royal Blue | child and adult sizes
- Male Dance Trousers – Black | child and adult sizes
- Female Dance Leggings – Black | child and adult sizes
- Hoodies – Royal Blue | child and adult sizes
- Tote bag – Royal Blue or Pink
- Holdall bags and rucksacks – Royal Blue or Pink
- Tights and socks
- Hair nets, grips and pins
- Ribbon sticks